Thursday, February 24, 2011

Kok Kee Wanton Noodle With Video

After going to 51 Kovan Wanton Noodle, winekaki was anxious to bring me to his personal favorite wanton noodle place, found in Lavender Food Market.

Kok Kee Wanton Noodle is run by an elderly couple, and has been quite notable. This was pretty much endorsed by the fact that there was always a queue when we were there during the off peak hours of 3pm in the afternoon.

We settled ourselves at a table nearby and proceeded to have our lunch of wanton noodles and a bowl of shrimp dumplings. And, I was certainly was not disappointed.

Wanton Noodle

The thing that struck me about this plate of noodles was how moist the noodles were. It seems that they were drenched in a broth underneath and was thus, a bit more soggy than the usual wanton mee you find.

The broth based noodles were, however, very flavorsome and slightly sweet. The wantons were definitely value for money here as they were rather huge and had a great seasoning and filling inside.

Shrimp Dumpling Soup

Our separate bowl of shrimp dumpling soup was equally delicious. The broth had a similar taste to the noodles and thus, the sweetness of the chicken stock and I suspect, mushrooms really came through without ever being too overpowering.

If I had thought the wantons were huge, the shrimp dumplings were humongous! The shrimp meat were clearly evident and were beautifully seasoned. The texture was nice and had a great bite and crunch to it.

A Great Meal

I must admit, this was a really enjoyable meal and reminded me of my childhood when I used to have a really nice chicken noodle in River Valley that came with an equally wonderful shrimp dumpling soup. That stall has since closed and I am not sure if they have resurfaced elsewhere.

In the meantime, I am glad to discover Kok Kee and 51 Kovan to curb my craving for a good wanton noodle plate. This week has been a relevation of sorts for me for great noodle places and with Punggol Noodles inclusive, I think silverchef has no lack of noodle places to go for now.

380 Jalan Besar
#01-06
Lavender Food Square



Written, filmed, edited and directed by Silverchef Productions.
Shot and edited entirely on Apple's Iphone 4 and at Wheelock Place.
No wanton was harmed in the shooting of this video.
"五月天" performed by S.H.E.

4 comments:

  1. I am a fan of Singapore hawker style wanton mee, it's much more satisfying than the HK style. Love how the videos in your posts captured the energy of the places you went :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks PY, I enjoy reading yr stuff too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely adore this stall. the sauce complements the noodles really well and the noodles has the right bite to it. pity their charsiew is quite ordinary. will try their dumplings when im home.

    Thanks for the review, Ian :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winekaki has been telling me to go there.. I should... soon..

    ReplyDelete